Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Day 5-por último, un día para relajarse (finally a day to relax)

This morning we had planned on going to church and the local street market (like a farmers market and a craft fair in one) with our Señora, but we were so tired we slept till almost 1:30! We planned to do that for next Sunday instead. I think we (Jenny, my roommate, and I) are still trying to adjust to the time change and lacking sleep from the night before and being in the sun all day all contributed to our need for a day to just sleep.

Today had just been kind of one of those relax and hang out kind of days. We had lunch around 3:30. Which was really interesting because we had the Spanish version of potato salad! I thought of you Grandma ☺ but there was no mayo in it! It was just potatoes, hard-cooked eggs, onion and some olive oil. There may have been a little vinegar or something similar on it too but I’m not sure. And then filete empanizado, really thin fried chicken breasts (like chicken strips but the breading was really thin too, and crispy) and plums. It was all very good. Afterwards came time to do our homework. Our teacher assigned us to read acts/scenes 1-5 in this Spanish play called Luces de Bohemia. It is very confusing (even for Jenny, who is almost a fluent Spanish speaker). I am not sure if I mentioned that Jenny’s mom is from El Salvador and her dad is from Mexico. So it has been nice when I don’t understand what someone in our family is saying, she can help to explain it better.

Anyway, we had to take a break from all the reading and planned to finish it later. So we had dinner around 10:00 tonight and we had omelets with tuna in them (which sounds odd but they were not too bad) and this version of pico de gallo but it had shrimp in it! and of course bread to go with it and a yogurt. They do not serve milk with dinner, or any meal for that matter and you cant really find it in the stores either. It is in cartons and is not in the refrigerator section, which leads me to believe its not ‘real’ milk. That is one thing that I am definitely missing.

Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment