Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Day 7- I'm late, I'm late, I'm late...for a very important date.

Well today began with a rough start. Our Señora knocks on our door. She comes in and tells us it is 9am. We have class at 9am. Both of us we still in bed sleeping!! There is something about these Blackberry’s that I do not understand. I always set the alarm and it always has been going off so I’m not sure if we slept through it or if it went of and some how I turned it off. Nonetheless we were going to be very late, especially since we usually walk to class.

About 10 minutes after we get out of bed our Señora comes in and tells us that breakfast is ready. Breakfast?? We need to leave! So out of courtesy, we chugged our coffee as fast as we could and took our toast to go. Luckily María was leaving at the same time as us and offered to take us by light rail/train to get to school using her pass. She saved us about 30 minutes. We finally arrived to school, 9:40. Our teacher seemed ok with it and felt bad for us, I told her we would be setting two alarms from now on.

Tuesday’s are special because we only have class from 9-11! And then the professors take us on these excursions. Today my group was going to La Catedral de Santa María de la Sede (the cathedral of Saint Mary). It was beautiful. It is supposed to be the third largest cathedral in the world! (I guess it is based on the volume, which makes it so large). The ceilings were so high and all the intricate stonework made it quite the spot for many tourists.

Also there is the torre de giralda which was originally there as part of a mosque way back when, but when the Christians took over Seville in 1248, it was eventually converted into a bell tower for the Cathedral. It had ramps to climb to the top rather than stairs, for the horses. The views from the top were magnificent!



After lentil soup and fried fish type pasta for lunch we finished one scene of our homework, took a catnap, and headed to the plaza de torros, or the bull-fighting ring. It was very interesting to hear all about the bull fighting from our guide. We heard about a famous matador who began bull fighting when he was only 9 years old! And died when he was 25 in a bullfight. I could not believe it! I think many people may know this but I thought the matador always won and it was more of just a show type event (kind of like pro wrestling) but no! Its one or the other, either the bull dies or the matador doe; how scary! The other picture is of a little stable like thing where they used to keep the horses. I am sure they may still go there before the fight too. But dont worry, the horses dont get injured anymore. Apparently they used to die during these fights too!

1 comment:

  1. nice horns em lol, you should put pictures up of your accommodations at the house your staying at.

    ReplyDelete